Lawrence Peck, Esq. is Of Counsel with Pasricha & Patel. He has 35 years experience in advising clients on domestic and international estate planning and taxes. He also served as attorney-advisor to the U.S. Tax Court, as an editor of the ABA’s The Tax Lawyer and has authored numerous articles for estate planning publications.
In addition to experience in the traditional areas of will and trust drafting and estate administration, Lawrence excels in the use of the latest techniques to implement effective plans for business succession while minimizing taxes to the greatest extent possible.
Some of Lawrence’s estate planning tools are the revocable or “living” trust to avoid probate and provide for continuity of management of assets; the irrevocable life insurance trust to reduce the size of the insured’s estate; the qualified personal residence trust to transfer a personal residence to heirs at reduced gift tax rates; the family limited partnership or family limited liability company to reduce the size of the estate; the grantor retained annuity trust or the sale to an income tax defective trust to transfer ownership of closely held businesses or other appreciating assets to younger generations at reduced gift tax rates; and the qualified domestic trust for non-citizen spouses.
Lawrence creates dynasty trusts for individuals who want to establish a truly perpetual, tax-favored source of income and capital for future generations of family members. These advantages are especially unique under the laws of certain states.
As clients expand their investments into the global arena, multi-jurisdictional planning takes on greater importance. Lawrence advises and establishes trusts, foreign corporations and other appropriate structures for nonresident alien clients investing in the U.S. real estate market or stockmarket to avoid or minimize U.S. estate, gift and income tax implications. Many foreign nationals purchase U.S. real estate for investment, personal use or for their children to use during college. Lawrence helps those individuals purchase real estate in an income, gift and estate tax-efficient manner, based on the property’s expected use.
Lawrence establishes trusts and other structures for nonresident alien clients to escape forced heirship provisions in their home countries, to defeat creditors, to protect assets in the event of unforseen circumstances arising in the jurisdiction of their domicile, to obtain favorable tax benefits, to provide for the testamentary disposition of property, to escape exchange controls, to provide an umbrella for investment in multiple jurisdictions and to invest in anonymity.
Lawrence also advises multi-national families in connection with tax, trust and succession planning matters that have both U.S. and non-U.S. aspects.
For clients who wish to advance their philanthropic activities, Lawrence assists in creating tax qualified charitable trusts and private foundations.
Lawrence represents and advises executors of substantial estates, including handling will probate and will contests; preparing the federal and state estate tax returns; representing the estate in tax audits; preparing the executor’s accounting and attendant releases; and distributing the estate assets to beneficiaries.
In addition to estate tax minimization, Lawrence is well versed in the techniques available to preserve his clients’ wealth from the risks of divorce, litigation and future creditors.
- Practice Areas
- Domestic & International Estate Planning
- Create, Modify and Administer Complex Trusts, including GRATs, IDGTs, Dynasty Trusts, DAPTs,
- SLATs, FLP/FLLCs, DINGs, QPRTs, ILITs, QDTs, CRTs and Revocable Trusts
- Management & Succession Planning for Closely-Held Businesses
- Estate Planning for Multi-National Families
- Offshore Corporations NPre-Immigration Estate Planning
- Structuring Purchases of U.S. Real Estate by Foreign Nationals
- Foreign Grantor and Non-Grantor Trusts
- Expatriation & Exit Tax Planning
- U.S. Taxation of Foreign Entities
- FBAR & FACTA Disclosures & Compliance
- Asset Protection Planning
- Probate, Estate & Trust Administration, Will Contests
- Advise Executors and Trustees of Complex International and Domestic Estates and Trusts
- Prepare and File Estate and Gift Tax Returns
- NB.A., Marquette University
- J.D., Catholic University
- L.L.M. (Taxation), Georgetown University, cum laude
- Memberships & Associations
- New York Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Commonwealth of Virginia Bar Association
- State of New York
- District of Columbia
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- United States Tax Court
- Court of Claims